My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

A graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary, who can't seem to stay in one place for more than a hot second. A lover of God and of people, laughter, good conversations with good friends, writing, music, student ministry, hope, and learning new things. This blog is about my life, and a place for my ramblings, as I seek God's will for my life, and strive to love others more than myself.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Carson Newman

In honor of my return to good ole Carson Newman for camp this summer, I thought I'd give a blog shout out to the last time I visited this cute little baptist school tucked away in Jefferson City, TN.

Carson Newman is a special place to me for a few reasons. First of all, it's where I attended Fuge for the first time as a camper after my freshman year of high school. I went to camp like a week after I became a Christian and was slightly traumatized. It was my first time attending anything like this.... and during the big climactic night of worship, everyone was weeping and sobbing in the aisles of the auditorium. I was scared outta my mind! It didnt help that we had just watched "A Thief in the Night" in Sunday school. I thought the rapture had happened and we all missed it! Why else would people be wailing and clinging to one another.

It was weird.

Obviously not weird enough to completely scar me since the last 4 summers of my life have been devoted to this little camp we call Fuge.

My 2 trips there as a camper definitely placed CNC in my heart as a special place, but what solidified its spot there forever was my first summer working on staff with Centrifuge. What a crazy, but fun summer that was for me. I feel like I learned sooooo much about life, about myself, about love, about ministry, and about selflessness. I faced something really really difficult that summer, and in my moment of need found myself enveloped in a community of girls who, even though we'd just met a few weeks before, completely loved and supported me. They helped me through that time as I struggled everyday to surrender things to the Lord.
I also laughed until my sides hurt more times than I can remember.
A certain person tested my patience more than I ever thought I could handle.
I had my first lesson in learning to "Drop it like its hot." Trust me, it wasnt pretty.
I ate cheese-its and watched the last half of Oprah almost everyday with my suitemates.
I had people jump out of my closet and dance on me when I least expected it.
I sang one of the songs from the Little Mermaid at the top of my lungs on our stage so many times that even the guys on our staff knew all the words.
CNC is the first place I almost got puked on by an overheated student and where I really learned the power of prayer and unconditional love.
It's also where I found out I had been accepted to Dallas Seminary and my post-college plans really began to come alive.

It's where I met the first edition of my Fuge family.
It's a beautiful place.
I'm excited to be back there again to minister to students and adults for another summer.
Campers arent the only ones whose lives are changed at Fuge.
I love my job.

And since everyone LOVES pictures...

A couple of us working the store one Saturday morning


I think this night life was called "Bigger Phatter Schooler"
or something like that. Whatever... how pimp are we?
Emily, me, and George


Bucky and Kade
All dressed up for staff appreciation dinner
They were inter-digitating.


Tour Guide and Shakespierre
George and me on our favorite morning of the AM Show


So apparently, I really wanted to win Mega this day.



Elizabeth, me, and Susan during one of my visits after camp


Bucky and me being crazy in the hallway late one night.


Elizabeth! My oprah watching, cheese it supplying, hug giving,
ambulance driving, source of endless laughter, smiles, and encouragement.
Love this girl so much!




Our last night together...
I was totally drugged out of my mind after a trip to the ER for kidney stones the day before.
My poor little sister was in the room next door, trying to get some sleep after flying in to Knoxville that evening on the worlds smallest plane so that she could drive me home. Apparently hardcore medication and driving are not recommended.



2005 Carson Newman Centrifuge Staff
Happy times.

2 Comments:

Blogger Susan Stinson Photography said...

Thanks for that sweet visit down memory lane! I'll be driving through CNC twice this summer and will definitely be stopping to give you and Ruble a hug! Love you girl.

May 13, 2009 at 8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How nostalgic! Good times.
(but that picture doesn't need to be on the web)

On another note, why don't I ever see any of you Nashville kids around town (except for Liz)?

May 13, 2009 at 1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home