Miss California, Where'd You Buy Your Swimsuit?
So, this week there's obviously been a lot of talk about the gay marriage issue thanks to a silly little beauty pageant that no one even watches anymore. Man the craziness that is spewing from the mouths of people on both sides of the issue is just astounding to me. So much hate and anger. It makes me sad. My midweek Bible study group started talking about this stuff on Tuesday and it's definitely a topic that gets me all hot and bothered, but I think there's a right and effective way to express your opinion without coming off as judgmental and mean. I was definitely in the minority as far as my views and opinions go, but it was a good discussion and I felt like we all respected one another.
I liked Relevant's article on all the stuff that's been said this week and thought it spoke to all sides of the issue. My opinion on this issue really doesnt matter, and honestly, I really hate getting into debates with other Christians about it...because I think when we get caught up in all this, we really do just alienate people who need the Lord. We become the persecutors rather than the persecuted. Can't we all just get along?
This quote was my favorite from the article and I felt like it summed up how I feel about this whole issue:
Eric Bryant, author of the book Peppermint-Filled Piñatas, echoes Merritt’s call to love our gay neighbors. “Christians are known for who we hate rather than how we love,” he writes in his blog. “This moves us out of the conversation and polarizes those involved so quickly, no progress can be made.” Bryant says that it's crucial for Christians to love people we disagree with, and to discuss the gay marriage issue with civility. “We cannot influence others we have pushed away," he writes. "This includes those who are struggling to figure out what to do with their sexual desires while growing up."
Check out the article.
I liked Relevant's article on all the stuff that's been said this week and thought it spoke to all sides of the issue. My opinion on this issue really doesnt matter, and honestly, I really hate getting into debates with other Christians about it...because I think when we get caught up in all this, we really do just alienate people who need the Lord. We become the persecutors rather than the persecuted. Can't we all just get along?
This quote was my favorite from the article and I felt like it summed up how I feel about this whole issue:
Eric Bryant, author of the book Peppermint-Filled Piñatas, echoes Merritt’s call to love our gay neighbors. “Christians are known for who we hate rather than how we love,” he writes in his blog. “This moves us out of the conversation and polarizes those involved so quickly, no progress can be made.” Bryant says that it's crucial for Christians to love people we disagree with, and to discuss the gay marriage issue with civility. “We cannot influence others we have pushed away," he writes. "This includes those who are struggling to figure out what to do with their sexual desires while growing up."
Check out the article.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home