My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

A graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary, who can't seem to stay in one place for more than a hot second. A lover of God and of people, laughter, good conversations with good friends, writing, music, student ministry, hope, and learning new things. This blog is about my life, and a place for my ramblings, as I seek God's will for my life, and strive to love others more than myself.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

What Can Wash Away My Sin...

I've been carrying around this dang popsicle stick in my pocket all day today. Last night Ryan did his popsicle stick illustration, and as I passed them out to students, I was praying for them. I hoped that as they wrote their baggage onto the stick, that tonight might be the night that they let it all go, and leave it at the foot of the cross. When I finished passing out the sticks, I had one left, and so I thought that maybe tonight, I'd think about what was holding me back, and write it on the stick. I definitely got that far. I know what's holding me back, but when it came time to break it and throw it on the floor, I just couldn't do it. I tucked that bad boy into my pocket. I knew that I could go through the motions of the illustrations, but I just am not ready to part ways with something that's become a part of me.

lame.

Ryan has been bringing it this summer. I told him last night that I've loved having him as our camp pastor, but that it would be great if he could stop preaching his sermons specifically to me, and focus more on the students. :) Seriously, sometimes, after worship, I just want to find a dark corner on campus and process... unfortunately though, the show must go on, and after we send students to their church group devotions, we as a staff have very little time to get ready for the next element. It's about the students though... and we want things to be great for them. My first summer working camp, my director called transitioning from worship to night life, "Turning the Knob." Switching gears quickly is just kind of how camp is.

Anyway,

Last night's worship was amazing. I ran pro-presenter (the computer and lyrics) which I hate doing in worship because when you're sitting back behind the computer, it's hard to really focus on what's going on in the room.... but holy cow, last night you had to have been crazy not to notice it. The band finished their set with "Hosanna" and then went into "What Can Wash Away My Sin". Last week our light person accidentally turned off the lights early, and we did that last song in the dark... and it ended up working out well... well this week we were intentional about it. When Olivia started singing, "What can wash away my sin? Nothing but the blood of Jesus." The stage was dark, the background on the screens was black, and the band kind of faded out. All you could see were the silhouettes of the band on stage, and hear the 200+ voices in the auditorium. It was beautiful and the presence of the Holy Spirit was overwhelmingly strong. Despite the dumb computer in my face, just hearing those voices, and seeing my good friends silhouetted on stage truly worshipping... I cried like a baby. We're blessed to have a band that is sensitive to the Holy Spirit and who truly have hearts for the Lord.

After the song ended, I had to start a video but I soooo wanted to make the band stay out there. During the video, the person running lights told me on the headset that everyone backstage was crying, having the same reaction those of us out front were having. We were in awe of the majesty and awesomeness of the Creator, in awe that He would allow us to be a part of this. Ryan came out after the video visibly broken over what the Lord was doing in that auditorium, and he felt led to hold an invitation right there before he even preached his sermon. As the band played "Amazing Grace, My Chains are Gone" students got up, went to the back to their youth ministers, and prayed prayers of salvation. It was incredible.

We could have packed up and gone home right then... but Ryan wasnt done. After the invitation, like I said, he preached on letting go of our pasts and the things holding us back, and again this week, the sound of those sticks breaking was one of the most beautiful sounds I've ever heard.

God is so good. He's here at Carson Newman this summer and big things are happening. Praise the Lord for our new brothers and sisters that were welcomed in to the family last night. That was night one of worship... we've still got 3 more nights. Let's pray for more...

1 Comments:

Blogger TheKryptonian said...

So sweet!

June 30, 2009 at 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home