My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

A graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary, who can't seem to stay in one place for more than a hot second. A lover of God and of people, laughter, good conversations with good friends, writing, music, student ministry, hope, and learning new things. This blog is about my life, and a place for my ramblings, as I seek God's will for my life, and strive to love others more than myself.

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Hello? Is there anyone out there?

Wow, it's been 2 months since I sat down and really wrote a good post. My laptop is near death and wasn't really cooperating when it came to connecting to Carson Newman's internet, so I didn't really even try to deal with it. A mini media fast wasn't too bad, given how crazy and busy my summer ended up being.

Summer 6 working Fuge... I certainly learned a lot. I certainly went to bed exhausted every night. I laughed a lot. I cried a lot. I prayed a lot. I worshiped God. I made new friends, and spent time with old ones. I saw the Lord work in amazing ways, and saw students and adults come to know Christ, and had the blessing and honor to walk some of them through that process. I wish there was some way to adequately describe what it's like to be on a Fuge staff, but whenever I try, my words just don't do it justice.

This summer was incredibly humbling for me, but refreshing as well. I was the oldest person on our staff, and the staffer with the most years experience with camp. I was a Bible study leader, mostly to 11th and 12th graders (5 weeks out of 8), and I sang in the band for the first time. The first 4 weeks were frustrating because I lost my voice, and it took 4 weeks to get it back (all while trying to lead rec, bible study, and track times!) BUT the view from the stage absolutely changed my life. I just started leading worship in March, so I've still got so much to learn but the guys in the band taught me so much, and watching students broken over their sin, or rejoicing in worship was absolutely beautiful, and I was usually on the brink of tears at one point or another every night. I walked off stage every night wondering why on earth the Lord had chosen me to witness that, and to be a part of it. It was incredible.

My students this summer were great. Every week, even though we're teaching the same curriculum for each group that comes in, I was shown something new in the Word from my students. I was learning as they were learning, and as they shared their burdens and struggles with me, I was burdened for them. My prayer life has changed drastically this summer. I can't tell you how many nights I stayed up, praying and broken for the things that came out in my bible study. There are things those students were going through that absolutely broke my heart.

My summer reaffirmed my love for student ministry. It gave me hope and renewed patience as I pursue what's next. I'm excited, anxious, but not hopeless.

2 Comments:

Blogger Amy Homesley said...

Hiya Molly, I was very blessed to be apart of Fuge at Carson for a week with the students at my church. I was amazed by you and the other staffers and I am seriously considering being a staffer next Summer. I know you are probably full of mixed feelings now at the end of it all, but I wanted to let you know your time and service was NOT in vain. Since being home I have seen a change in the hearts of some of my girls. The youth band girls looked at you as a model for how to worship, plus they think you have THE BEST VOICE EVER. I just wanted to thank you for your time, energy, and love it really shined through to us.

August 5, 2010 at 10:04 AM  
Blogger Kaylyn said...

Molly. I'm personally affected by your ministry this summer. God blessed me with your friendship and guidance and just ghetto-fabulousness.

August 11, 2010 at 6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home