Sudan Post 3
Time really seems to be flying by here at Harvesters and every day is just as good, if not better than the last. On Sunday we went to church here on the compound, walking in the sanctuary toward the end of children's church. As we sat quietly, and watched the children sing their last song, I couldn't help but smile. The same dirt smudged faces I've been playing with this past week, were now clean and dressed in their Sunday's best. It was a sight to see! Once a majority of the kids left, the weekly church service began. What a party that was! The worship band at Harvesters could stand up to any worship team back in the states! These kids had so many instruments up there, and they were good too! It was so much fun!
Then after a time of worship, Pastor John took to the pulpit to remind the congregation of the great spiritual battle taking place around them and the dangers of allowing their culture, with its pagan practices to infiltrate the Christian Church. His sermon was yet another reminder of just how different the Church here in Sudan is, in comparison to the often sleeping Church of the US. Satan has allowed us to give ourselves over to materialism, whereas there are Christians here in Yei who are fighting against those following a witch doctor known for raising people from the dead... both mindsets are dangerous, just vastly different.
Our team also had the opportunity to go into Yei to the market place. Many of us were hoping to find some craft type things to take back to our families, but most left empty handed. The market, found in a series of dark alleys and crammed under tents, wasn't much to see. Crowded and dirty, the Yei market was filled with flip flops, dust covered t-shirts, and all kinds of Obama memorabilia. Thanks but I think I'll pass on the Obama blue jeans. Randomly, in the middle of one of the long alleys, there was a guy in a DJ booth playing music, and so we had a nice dance party to some Biggie.....haha not the best lyrics to hear with your mission team... but the locals enjoyed Stacy and me enjoying the music. :)
During the evenings, after the kids have gone to bed or to their dorms, we as a team hangout in the kitchen talking and playing this psycho version of UNO. I usually take advantage of our time with the generator to take a hot shower, but the smelly kids really seem to get into this crazy game. It's funny to watch their tournament, and it's fun to see our team laughing and having such a good time. For the most part, we all get along well, which has been a huge blessing. One night the younger 1/2 of the team and good ole Steve stayed up late playing 21, which is one of my favorite games of questions and getting to know one another. We were having so much fun laughing and talking, we stayed in the kitchen long after the generator cut our power, forcing us to play by lantern light. We've had a lot of great conversations on this trip, conversations that have stretched my perspective on things and encouraged me in my Walk.
It's Tuesday night, and we're leaving Thursday morning. Mary and I have been talking about wanting to come back, and soon. We even talked to Mama Lilly about it. As we sat at Lilly and Dennis' kitchen table a few days ago, Lilly told us different things she could find for us to do, and Mary and I both started to think that this might actually happen. We don't know when, or for how long, but we're hoping for a year, and we're hoping to make it happen after the summer. Mary and I both have big hopes and ideas for how we could spend a year in Sudan with these kids.... it's incredibly exciting to think about. Obviously it's still in the early phases, but how amazing would that experience be, and to do it with one of my best friends, it's almost too good to be true! We'll see where the Lord leads us as we seek His guidance for future steps.
So, 1 more full day here.... oh my heart gets heavy just thinking about it. I've experienced this before... having a life changing experience, only to return to a world that's still the same. It's weird and its hard, and it makes the experience you've just had seem less and less real as the days go on. I don't want to lose what I've experienced here, and I don't want to lose the things I've learned... honestly, I wish I could just stay here. :) Thursday morning is going to be so sad.

Then after a time of worship, Pastor John took to the pulpit to remind the congregation of the great spiritual battle taking place around them and the dangers of allowing their culture, with its pagan practices to infiltrate the Christian Church. His sermon was yet another reminder of just how different the Church here in Sudan is, in comparison to the often sleeping Church of the US. Satan has allowed us to give ourselves over to materialism, whereas there are Christians here in Yei who are fighting against those following a witch doctor known for raising people from the dead... both mindsets are dangerous, just vastly different.
Our team also had the opportunity to go into Yei to the market place. Many of us were hoping to find some craft type things to take back to our families, but most left empty handed. The market, found in a series of dark alleys and crammed under tents, wasn't much to see. Crowded and dirty, the Yei market was filled with flip flops, dust covered t-shirts, and all kinds of Obama memorabilia. Thanks but I think I'll pass on the Obama blue jeans. Randomly, in the middle of one of the long alleys, there was a guy in a DJ booth playing music, and so we had a nice dance party to some Biggie.....haha not the best lyrics to hear with your mission team... but the locals enjoyed Stacy and me enjoying the music. :)
During the evenings, after the kids have gone to bed or to their dorms, we as a team hangout in the kitchen talking and playing this psycho version of UNO. I usually take advantage of our time with the generator to take a hot shower, but the smelly kids really seem to get into this crazy game. It's funny to watch their tournament, and it's fun to see our team laughing and having such a good time. For the most part, we all get along well, which has been a huge blessing. One night the younger 1/2 of the team and good ole Steve stayed up late playing 21, which is one of my favorite games of questions and getting to know one another. We were having so much fun laughing and talking, we stayed in the kitchen long after the generator cut our power, forcing us to play by lantern light. We've had a lot of great conversations on this trip, conversations that have stretched my perspective on things and encouraged me in my Walk.
It's Tuesday night, and we're leaving Thursday morning. Mary and I have been talking about wanting to come back, and soon. We even talked to Mama Lilly about it. As we sat at Lilly and Dennis' kitchen table a few days ago, Lilly told us different things she could find for us to do, and Mary and I both started to think that this might actually happen. We don't know when, or for how long, but we're hoping for a year, and we're hoping to make it happen after the summer. Mary and I both have big hopes and ideas for how we could spend a year in Sudan with these kids.... it's incredibly exciting to think about. Obviously it's still in the early phases, but how amazing would that experience be, and to do it with one of my best friends, it's almost too good to be true! We'll see where the Lord leads us as we seek His guidance for future steps.
So, 1 more full day here.... oh my heart gets heavy just thinking about it. I've experienced this before... having a life changing experience, only to return to a world that's still the same. It's weird and its hard, and it makes the experience you've just had seem less and less real as the days go on. I don't want to lose what I've experienced here, and I don't want to lose the things I've learned... honestly, I wish I could just stay here. :) Thursday morning is going to be so sad.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home