My Photo
Name:
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

A graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary, who can't seem to stay in one place for more than a hot second. A lover of God and of people, laughter, good conversations with good friends, writing, music, student ministry, hope, and learning new things. This blog is about my life, and a place for my ramblings, as I seek God's will for my life, and strive to love others more than myself.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

All Talk and No Game

This is another article I found on Relevant's website.
Battle of Words



After hearing way too many ignorant and hateful comments FROM Christians during this election, I wonder if we've lost sight of the big picture. I wonder if they really think their choice of words and means of expression will really make any kind of impact on another person's life. If anything, it's done nothing but make me angry, not sway me to their side of the issue.

This is a huge election, with a lot at stake. Unfortunately, I think a lot of people are just ready for it to be over and done with. I've heard (and even said myself) that I can't wait for Tuesday to get here so this stinkin thing can be resolved. I'm afraid this stuff is far from over, and once our next president is announced, the reaction of Christians is going to be watched closely by the rest of the world. Our words have a lot of power.

I get so mad at so many people who are quick to judge and quick to write off people whose opinions differ from their own. So many Christians say that they're pro-life and are voting for a Republican because they want to overturn Roe vs Wade. Ok, so vote for a candidate because of his stance on abortion. Abortion is wrong and should be illegal. I fully agree with that... but so much of our faith is based on the fact that our Christian beliefs and lifestyle is reflected by more than just words. How are Christians helping to provide hope, education, and alternative solutions for women who find themselves in the midst of an unexpected pregnancy? Christians, we're all talk. We dont volunteer, we dont give money, we dont open our homes to those in need... Vote for McCain because he claims to be pro-life (this week anyway), but rather than sitting around waiting for the president to do something about it, why doesnt the Church and the individuals who claim to be Christ followers step up?

People without healthcare.... why doesn't the Church step up?
"whatever you did for the least of these, you did for Me."

People living in poverty, on welfare, the unemployed... why doesnt the Church step up?
"whatever you did for the least of these, you did for Me."

Is it because you think people should be able to take care of themselves?

I get so angry at those Christians who proudly proclaim that the money they've earned is theirs and the government shouldn't tax them to give it to "lazy people who refuse to go to work but instead sit on their butts and collect government checks." Really? Like, seriously? You're right, the money you have is yours and you should be able to do with it what you want BUT the problem is that you DONT. You keep your money for yourself and you don't help anyone... yet you want the government to continue funding a war, or to find a way pay for all these babies whose life we championed for to be placed in foster care. Healthcare, welfare... this stuff wouldnt be an issue if the Church would just step up and take care of the people around us who are in need. The Church isnt a safe place to turn because apparently if you're not living in a white, middleclass neighborhood and you're needing govt assistance, you're lazy and irresponsible. We take away peoples' dignity and offer them no hope or solutions. Shame on us!

And you, you middle class, college educated twenty something year old... do you REALLY think you got to where you are because of anything you did yourself?? If you had been brought up by a drug addict mother and an absent father, would you really have made it this far?? You are where you are because of the circumstance you were raised in, so dont act so pretentious toward those who have less than you. It's sad that we live in a society where many feel like the only way we can help others is by forcing Americans to give up a tiny fraction of their money in taxes in order to fund programs where the basic needs of human beings can be taken care of. We should want to help those in need, but because we don't, the government needs us to pay up.

Where is the Church and why are we putting all of our hope in one man. You don't give a crap about abortion or taxes or health care any other time... but now, now that we're on the night before a presidential election, you're going to act like you live and breathe these things. You're going to act like its something you've always been passionate about?

It's my prayer that this election season has awakened the Church to see that there are people in need in this country and that we can't rely on the government to take care of them. I know I have been convicted. I have a hard time claiming something as being important to me, when, up until 2 months ago, I rarely thought about it. It's sad. Jesus told us to take care of the poor and we should be doing that willingly and regularly.

I'm realizing that I need to do more personally. If I'm going to talk about it, I need to be living it as well.


If you can't feed a hundred people, then feed just one.

If you judge people, you have no time to love them.

Let us not be satisfied with just giving money. Money is not enough, money can be got, but they need your hearts to love them. So, spread your love everywhere you go.

There are no great things, only small things with great love. Happy are those.

We try and make the world safe, knowing that world will never be safe as long as millions live in poverty so a few can live as they wish.


~Mother Teresa

2 Comments:

Blogger Johnson Family said...

Amen! Thanks for the rebuke and encouragement, all in one blog post.

November 4, 2008 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

molly, i am encouraged and so glad to see you actively engaging in theological discussion that is challenging and true. a few thoughts: the money we earn is not ours... all we have and all we do is a gift from God; we're the stewards. am i acting like that? not often. also, i love that you are challenging the pro-life people who are pro-life until the baby comes out and then want to forget about it. what about being pro-life all the way from conception to death? mmmmkay, enough from me. glad for your heart and words. :)

November 6, 2008 at 2:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home