Father-Daughter-Sister Bonding
So my younger sister came down to Stafford for the weekend to celebrate her birthday which was way back in February. She decided that she wanted to go hit golf balls with my dad, which of course made my dad pretty happy. Poor guy has 3 daughters and has since become a person who has to listen more than he talks, because you know us opinionated Bostelman girls don't let him get in a word edgewise. (hmm I'm pretty sure I've never used that phrase before... weird). BUT even though we've turned our dad into an introvert.. we all love him very much and it was fun to spend time with him today. He loves to play golf and he was a really good teacher, and since I havent played golf since I was in high school, I definitely needed the help!
The last time I held a golf club was at this exact same ghetto driving range (pictured below) when I was 18 years old. I had been at church at a youth thing when my best guy friend at the time decided to start talking all this crap about what an amazing golfer he was. I knew this guy, and knew he'd only played like twice in his entire life and so I totally called his bluff and told him I was probably better than he was (and that wasnt saying much!), after all I'd been tagging along to play golf with my dad since I was 6! Soooo we ditched out of church (oh I'm such a rebel) and headed to the range. We decided to do best out of 20 for who could hit the farthest... and I think I beat him 17/20... no joke, and I totally stunk. It's adrenaline and pride. I couldn't let that kid 1. Talk and be all prideful about his skills that I knew he didnt have 2. I couldnt lose a challenge that I initiated. 3. If I was going to skip out on something I was supposed to be attending, it had to be worth it.
I also had to go to the ER once because of a golf injury. We went on base to play at the course there when I was like a 7th grader. I hit my ball into the sand trap because i was just that awesome... and my dad was trying to teach me how to chip it (i think thats the correct term) out of the sand. Somehow, someway I totally twisted my body weird and so when I swung the club, my back felt like it exploded into a million pieces. It hurt so bad. I had to walk like an old lady and as I hobbled to the car with my dad, he laughed the whole way. Only molly could get hurt playing golf. It was awful and super painful and totally took me out of swimming for like 2 whole weeks which can seem like an eternity in the summer season.
So anyway, today we went to the driving range. I think I hit 2 or 3 good balls that actually went where I wanted them to. At first I tried talking smack to my sister because the first few balls I hit werent too bad given my long absence from the sport... but by the end of the afternoon, all I could come up with was that I have my masters degree and more friends than she does. :) Sarah kicked booty today... but it was her birthday celebration so lets just pretend that I let her win.
Morals of the story... Wii golf is a lot easier than real golf and you can play Wii golf till you're blue in the face and it wont do jack for you once you've got a real club in your hand.

And no... there are no pictures of Molly hitting the ball.
Molly + Golf = epic fail.

1 Comments:
hahhaa, that's awesome. is that the same driving range you and your dad brought me to in high school? he's the one that taught me how to hold a golf club correctly. and years later i still can barely hit a ball :P
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home