All We Are Saying.. Is Give Peace a Chance

So tonight I went out and had a grand old time for my last real weekend in the Big D. My boss had to go out of town on a business trip and she happens to be a season ticket holder to the Dallas Musical theater and offered me her tickets for this weekend since she wasn't going to be able to use them. I'm usually down for a good musical, but wow I didn't know what I was getting myself into! "Rain: A Beatles Experience" is in town... and holy cow I saw a different side of history for sure. Basically these 4 guys put on a 2 hour Beatles concert while in character of the different guys. In between the sets of music they'd play news clips and commercials from whatever era the guys were playing music from.
I'm going to be honest and put it out there that I know about 5 songs from the Beatles. My friend Kim came along with me to the show and she knew every stinkin song the guys played. I think she thought I had a deprived childhood, but whatever. I could sing Tina Turner's "What's Love Got to Do With It" and Whitney's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" when I was 5 years old... beat that! So anyway, alot of my time at the show was not spent singing along, but instead people watching and taking it all in. Kim and I were about 30-40 years younger than most of the people in the theater tonight, but these people were definitely rockin out and reliving a part of their younger years. I mean peace signs were being waved like nobody's business, and I'm pretty sure the woman that sat 2 rows in front of us was still tripping on something from her days spent living it up in the 70s.
At one point during the show I felt like I was at a peace rally as they played John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance." I thought about what it must have been like to hear that song in the early 70s as Americans were tired and worn from the Vietnam War. I looked around the room and saw people who had lived through that time. I wondered where each of them were in 1969 during Woodstock or during the war, and then I thought about my generation today. I thought about the passion that young people had in the 60s and 70s... and wondered what exactly my generation is passionate about. Tonight I was just really reminded what a different time that was in our history.
The guys played all of the classics, but of course leaving most of the best songs for their two encores. If they were accurately portraying the members of the Beatles, I think I would have liked John Lennon or George Harrison best. Paul McCartney seemed a bit boring and Ringo was just crazy. My favorite part of the night was the grand finale. The guys had just taken their first bow when they ran back to their instruments and started playin "Hey Jude." The nostalgia in that room was overwhelming as these old people started waving peace signs and their cell phones back and forth. It was pretty comical, but it was also fun to watch these people relive some of the best years of their lives.
Tonight ended up being a lot of fun. It reminded me that lives lived passionately typically end up being a lot more fun than not caring about anything at all and I think I'm going to have to ask my parents about the 60s and 70s and see what they were up to in those days...
I'm going to be honest and put it out there that I know about 5 songs from the Beatles. My friend Kim came along with me to the show and she knew every stinkin song the guys played. I think she thought I had a deprived childhood, but whatever. I could sing Tina Turner's "What's Love Got to Do With It" and Whitney's "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" when I was 5 years old... beat that! So anyway, alot of my time at the show was not spent singing along, but instead people watching and taking it all in. Kim and I were about 30-40 years younger than most of the people in the theater tonight, but these people were definitely rockin out and reliving a part of their younger years. I mean peace signs were being waved like nobody's business, and I'm pretty sure the woman that sat 2 rows in front of us was still tripping on something from her days spent living it up in the 70s.
At one point during the show I felt like I was at a peace rally as they played John Lennon's "Give Peace a Chance." I thought about what it must have been like to hear that song in the early 70s as Americans were tired and worn from the Vietnam War. I looked around the room and saw people who had lived through that time. I wondered where each of them were in 1969 during Woodstock or during the war, and then I thought about my generation today. I thought about the passion that young people had in the 60s and 70s... and wondered what exactly my generation is passionate about. Tonight I was just really reminded what a different time that was in our history.
The guys played all of the classics, but of course leaving most of the best songs for their two encores. If they were accurately portraying the members of the Beatles, I think I would have liked John Lennon or George Harrison best. Paul McCartney seemed a bit boring and Ringo was just crazy. My favorite part of the night was the grand finale. The guys had just taken their first bow when they ran back to their instruments and started playin "Hey Jude." The nostalgia in that room was overwhelming as these old people started waving peace signs and their cell phones back and forth. It was pretty comical, but it was also fun to watch these people relive some of the best years of their lives.
Tonight ended up being a lot of fun. It reminded me that lives lived passionately typically end up being a lot more fun than not caring about anything at all and I think I'm going to have to ask my parents about the 60s and 70s and see what they were up to in those days...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home